mooknits

Monday, January 21, 2013

To Gym or not to Gym ? That is the question.

There is a new Gym in town and it is called Balance Health and Fitness. It's nice. It's like a Gym would be in the real world. It's got qualified instructors, top of the range equipment and beautiful showers. Let's be honest, it's the showers that sell it. Most houses here in Muscat are old. Our house is old, it's a lovely house, probably about 25/30 years old and neither the bathrooms or kitchen have been updated since it was built in all likelihood. We have many, many bathrooms in our house - like 6 and they are all seriously outdated. The ensuite in our bedroom is pink - the suite is pink and the tiles are pink and it's all just one big pinkfest - disgusting. This is the downside to living in rented accommodation. So, going somewhere that has tasteful Italian marble, lovely rain showers and Molton Brown products everywhere is a real treat.

The Gym is something that I have always hated. I'd rather play a sport, like tennis or take the dog for a walk than go to the Gym, but I have found that as I get older and older and older, it gets harder and harder and harder to shift the unwanted pounds that are still hanging around 5 years after having Oscar. I want those pounds shifted, they have outstayed their welcome and it's time to get them gone. So we joined the Gym. It's a pricey business this Gym thing, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I am hoping that I get taken over by some kind of mad desire to exercise morning, noon and night and that you just won't be able to get me out of the Gym. Yeah - not likely to happen, but at least if I can go two to three times a week and sneak a swim in there as well (well at least sitting by the swimming pool reading a book with the odd dip) that should help - shouldn't it ? I mean seriously - what does it take to loose weight when you are over 40 ? I just can't fathom it - I feel like whatever I do this blasted excesses poundage does not want to leave. I know I've got a magnetic personality but this is ridiculous !

I don't do new year resolutions, ever. However this year I have decided to try a different mind set and try to spend more of my time doing things that I want to do instead of doing things that other people want me to do. I am learning to say NO just a little more - it's not easy, it doesn't come naturally but I'm hoping that in time it will become a habit and I'll be able to decline people's lovely offers to help out by cooking a three course meal for a school inspectors, or making 50m of bunting to decorate the staff room for teacher appreciation day - I love to help I really do, but enough is enough. This is the year of me and I intend to spend as much time as possible with my children, exercise, eat well and knit and sew as much is humanly possible. These are the things I should be doing with my time not all that other rubbish that sucks you in.



I took the decision when Jacob was born not to work. I took that decision in order that I could be there with my children as they grew helping in whatever way I could, over the last year, the time I have spent with them has become less and less and I hate it. This year I am claiming back my family life and enjoying my children instead of seeing them as an annoyance that has to be dealt with before I can make 5 cakes for the school coffee morning - that's just wrong. Time to slow down, appreciate the little things that make our family unique and do things that suit us.

So I shall be Gyming it as much as I can, but when it doesn't suit me I won't be doing it, I shall let go of the guilt and be me - well I'll try anyway !!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your method of telling the whole thing in this paragraph is in fact nice, all be capable of simply understand it, Thanks a lot.


Here is my web page: livingwithrheumatoidarthritis.org

5:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home