mooknits

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Oh Lucky Day

Do we notice a song theme developing here ?

Today I was at my Mum and Dad's. Whilst chatting to my Mum she mentioned that she had a number (14 actually) of mannequins in the loft (they used to have a children's clothes shop) - I had been trying to buy one from ebay - but had decided they were too expensive - so Mum gave me one - I'm delighted. For some time now, I have been contemplating doing a website knitting baby cardy's, hat's and bootees to order - the only trouble I have had is that I had no way to take the photos of the bits I've knitted - hence the need for a mannequin - now I have one and I can get on with my site - how exciting. Here she is - I'll have to think of a name for her - any suggestions gratefully received. She is a 6 month size by the way.


My Mannequin Posted by Picasa

Having spent the day at my parents - herding three children - my own and two of my sisters, I came home with a very tired and overemotional boy and opened the door to find a lovely package from the even lovelier Emily - it was full of gorgeous stitch markers - and she has even included instructions for me to learn to make them myself and some of the materials I will need - Emily - thank you so much - you are so thoughtful and kind and I really appreciate it.


Emily's Lovely Stitch Markers Posted by Picasa

I wore my lovely red skirt and green cardy combo today and it looked fab - I'll try and get James to take a picture next time I wear it.

Right off to knit.

11 Comments:

Blogger littlelixie said...

The manniquin says 'Harriet' to me.

5:41 am  
Blogger Becky said...

Mmmm - I'm liking that - Harriet.

11:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm thinking lou lou...
your clapotis looks lovely! you're doing a wonderful job :) and just wait till you get to the bit where you have to drop stitches on purpose. now that's fun!!!
your sp x

12:11 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Hi Becky, hope this reaches you.
You asked about the crossover top from Vogue knitted in HipKnits silk - I made the largest size as I am a 14-16 in UK sizes and it came out plenty big enough; I could probably have got away with the medium. I followed the pattern exactly as given - no tinkering - although I may put a few stitches in to hold the crossover bit together; the silk is so soft and drapey that it flops a bit round there, but if it was a bit closer-fitting it would probably hold its shape a bit more.
Hope that helps.
Annie (Up Knit Creek)

1:58 pm  
Blogger Becky said...

Thanks for the info Annie - I have asked for some Hipknits silk for my birthday - so if I get some,I may well knit that top in it.

SP - I am now dropping those stitches although they do need quite a lot of help to go - which is a good thing in a way 'cause when I drop stitches due to fatigue, they don't go anywhere, they just sit there politely waiting for me to notice them - very well behaved indeed. Funny you sould say LouLou - one of my favourite books to read to Jacob is called Goodnight Lulu and is all about a chicken called, funnily enough, Lulu - I thought if we ever manage to have another baby and it's a girl I'd like to call her Lulu - James didn't agree, so the very least I can do is call my mannequin Lulu - it may be the closest thing I ever get to another child !! Hopefully not though.

3:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol : ) never read that one but it sounds funny! i know someone who called her little girl lulu and it was just adorable... i thought it would suit the bright colourful knits you go for!
i had troubles getting the stitches to drop too - why is it that when you don't want them to go they unravel at the speed of light but when you have a pattern actively encouraging dropped stitches they stick like glue?! in the end it had to poke them a lot, and sometimes use scissors when they got really stuck!
sp x

4:46 pm  
Blogger Becky said...

Shock horror SP - scissors !!! My word I haven't resorted to that yet, but I have had to give them a good tug / tear to get them going sometimes - still it's quite satifying. I did a scarf for a friend's birthday which was a sort of ladder stitch - lots of dropping of stitches all over the place - it was great fun, but I had the same problem with that - I think the yarn was too fuzzy - still I think Lixie is having great fun dropping the stitches on her silk clapotis - she was waxing very lyrical about it on her blog - she so poetic ! I want to do a silk one now - I've asked for the yarn for my birthday - so we shall see - I'll probably get a pair of earrings or something !

7:05 pm  
Blogger Emily said...

Hey there, so glad you like the stitch markers! Have you tried making some yet?

7:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

9:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »

2:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Phentermine vs xenical naga jenna jameson

8:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home