mooknits

Monday, August 15, 2005

Momentary Inspiration

Well it was my sister's birthday this weekend and luckily she loved her socks and got them onto her plate of meat immediately - declaring them "snuggly " - nice. Have you ever made a Boston Cream Pie ? Well I got out my Domestic Godess this weekend and decided to whip one up as a Birthday cake for my sister - now usually I find Nigella to be excellent - but I have to say Nigella, if you are reading this (which of course you will be !) this recipe was slightly lacking - You have to make a creme patissiere - not too difficult, but she didn't bother to tell you at which point to stop thickening it, so I thought - about half way should do - WRONG - it was way too runny so that when I sandwiched the whole caboodle together the top layer just kept sliding off great amusement factor, but not great for presentation. I wasn't too happy, on top of that, literally, you make a chocolate ganache to ice it all with - again, not too difficult, but by the time I had warmed all the ingredients together, and then allowed them to cool a little, there was soooooo much fat on top I had to drain it off - I was still left with a pool of fat at the bottom of the pan when I had finished using the icing. So all in all, not the most successful cake I have ever made, but on the plus side at least it wasn't burnt !

Whilst my sister was here, she was bemoaning the fact that she gets ridiculed for her mobile phone by her friends - she has one of those brick sized G3 phones - so I suggested that since she was being ridiculed anyway she might as well go the whole hog and let me knit a cover for it - and you'll never guess what - she agreed !!! I did a little research, and this is what I came up with.


purrrrrrrr Posted by Picasa

I had such fun knitting this - I loved it, it has a little flap on the back so that you can cosset your little mobile phone and a strap on the side, so that you can attach it to the handle of your handbag - never again will she be rooting around in her bag for her phone. It also has a little mouse button sewn on the bottom to provide kitty with permanent temptation ! I have decided that I am going to make one of these for myself, I'm going to do it in some pink Calmer that I have in my stash and I'm going to get a fake flower to sew on to it - I can't wait - I'm sadly excited about this. I love small projects that you can do in an evening - I make even make myself a few to use depending on my mood - I've got some nice sparkly yarn that I could use for this. Jacob has taken a real shine to the little kitty and wants me to make him one as well - so I'm going to be a busy bee.

I have also managed to finish the scarf for my friend's birthday - I'm really pleased with it and am debating whether I actually want to give it to him or not !! No I shall definately give it to him - I shall also be making one for my Dad for Christmas.


Silk Garden gorgeousness Posted by Picasa

A friend of mine wanted to knit a scarf like this for a toddler - but I felt that the Silk Garden was a bit scratchy - does anyone know if it softens up when you wash it, or if perhaps the Noro Kureyon is a bit softer ? Comments from everyone more than welcome.

I have also managed to finish my Silk Garden scarf - more or less anyway - I've just got to sew in the ends and I love it - I just love the way the colours change on it and all the contrasts - I can't wait to wear it now !


Silk Garden Skinny Scarf Posted by Picasa

Don't you hate the fact that when you order books from Amazon and take advantage of their free postage you have to wait just ages for your books. It feels like yonks ago that I ordered my two books and no sign of them yet - I want to try and knit something for my Mum's birthday in September from one of them, so I hope they turn up soon.

We won £150 on the premium bonds last week - we have had premium bonds for about 5 years now and this is the first time we've won anything ! I'm off to Bluewater this afternoon to buy myself some shoes !! And some wool may just sneak it's way into my bag as well, you just never can tell !

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the scarves and the mobile phone holder. Lovely lovely!

4:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This mobile phone case is absolutely lovely. Love the teesing little mouse too! Everyone will want one of them...

12:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely scarves - I just love how those noro yarns look when knitted up.
carol.

8:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo! nice fos! i love the mobileholder, and those scarves are beautiful! you have been busy!!
your sp x

3:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

5:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home