mooknits

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Button Basics

I haven't done as much knitting as I would like recently, mainly because my hubby has just gone self-employed and we have entered into a partnership, whereby I do the admin and he does everything else - so I have been trying to get my head around doing work again, after two and half year's out of it. I'll get there - but it means I have to use my brain.

Also, my little man has got Chickenpox at the moment - it started on Saturday night and he got it with a vengance by Sunday evening. He hasn't been too poorly, but he really doesn't understand why he can't go out and play with his friends. My prescription for him has been lots of Scooby Doo, it's his favourite and it seems to be doing the trick, although he doesn't understand that it's OK for him to lay down on the sofa and relax and it's not night night time and he doesn't HAVE to go to sleep, bless him. He's starting to get itchy now, so I think I'll be lathering him in Calamine lotion this afternoon.

On the knitting front, Lucky is all but finished. It is just a case of choosing the button now. I always find this quite time consuming - I think a button so makes a garment, especially when there is only one and it really needs to set the right tone. I know, I hear you say, but it's only a baby cardy - but I'm fussy what can I say.

So, should I go for


The Funky Fish Posted by Hello



The Natural Option Posted by Hello


A Precious Indonesian Button Posted by Hello


The Beehive Posted by Hello

I'm leaning toward the Natural Option or a precious Indonesian button at the moment. The button from Indonesia is precious because I bought lots of buttons when we were living out there and my supply is running somewhat low now - so I only use them for important things and I recycle them wherever I can - they are so lovely.

Talking of buttons - I have something of a button stash. I didn't realise it was quite as big as it is until I just tipped all the buttons out looking for the right one. I always try and buy unusual buttons when I find them, and I also buy job lots from charity shops - so, do you think this is out of hand ?


My Button Stash Posted by Hello

I have also been knitting Jacob a Noddy hat. I worked out the right number of stiches for the measurements that I wanted and off I went, without doing a tension square of course. Two days and a whole lot of stocking stitch later it was finished and looking fab. I tried it on Jacob's head, and of course, it is way too big. I'm going to have to do some nifty seaming to get it to fit otherwise it is rather going to imped his view of the world as it falls over his eyes.


The Noddy Hat Posted by Hello

I have, of course, been solidering on with Archie. It is, as predicted, driving me mad - all that blooming counting. Still I need to get it finished, my friends' baby is due any minute and I've still got the little dog to do - oh lordy give me motivation - I even knitted the Noddy hat to get me out of Archie - DH wasn't impressed and told me I had no stamina ! I agree. I'm sure it will be lovely when it is done - whenever that is.


Archie so far Posted by Hello

We are thinking of moving to Whitstable now that James is going self-employed. We don't have to tied to London and I've always wanted to live by the sea. We've got friends there and I love it. James can still travel to London from there without too much trouble, so it seems like a good option. Also the houses are a bit cheaper than Tunbridge Wells, so we'll get more for our money. So we are full steam ahead with working on the house now. We need to get it finished and on the market without wasting too much time. I have to say I'm very excited about the idea of moving to the coast. Jacob will love it, he loves the beach. James loves sailing and so they can both go out at the weekend when Jacob is a little older. I think we can have a really nice lifestyle there and I'm so looking forward to it. All we need to do it get on with it.

Right, I'm off to take the quiche I've made for lunch out the oven before it burns and pop in to see if my sleeping little man is doing OK. He's so tired with the chickenpox, but he will not admit it - I think he needs as much rest as possible to help him fight it off, so telly and knitting this afternoon I think - that's me knitting not a two and half year old, although I'm sure he'd love to have a go !

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky,

Look at all your work. Fabulous.

I agree with you about the button, the natural or the Indonesian were my picks too.

Your poor boy with the pox. At least it isn't too bad for him, my brother and I had it at the same time when I was 7. I had 8 pox that didn't itch and he was covered in a pox-rash all over his body and was in itchy pain and had to take therapeutic baths.

I wound up the baby alpaca that I wrote about on my blog today. I've got a skein of Jaeger alpaca 4-Ply in the same gauge so I think I'll work them together in a little newborn hat. I love alpaca, it's so yummy and soft.

Off to bed for me. Take care and good luck with the new business!

Ann

10:14 am  
Blogger Steph said...

I love your Lucky cardigan; it looks great in the green. I made one in charcoal and enjoyed making it; I'm tempted to do another soon for an expected arrival in August (not mine!).
I'd go for the natural button personally on your cardi.
Hope your son feels better soon! My girls had it over Easter last year (ages 5 & 3 then); at least it's out of the way now. :-)

1:11 pm  
Blogger Steph said...

Re your button stash - it's not unusual so don't worry about it! I have a bead and button stash that is threatening to grow at almost the same rate as my yarn stash; I've got 2 big jars full and an extra bag already.. At least the children enjoy playing with them too, so they're multi-functional. ;-)

1:14 pm  
Blogger Becky said...

Thanks for your comments ladies - I'm reassured to know that my button stash isn't out of control !! I think I will go for the natural button - all I need to do now is force myself to finish Archie - shoot me now !

1:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »

9:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... What can i eat with high cholesterol buy buy provigil online How are eyeglasses tinted Pamela anderson blowjob pics Touch3dup paint 1995 buick century Car caspian convertible seat suzuki rm 750 Theater t shirt our town tadalafil special ge gsd 3800 dishwasher Compnaies that make voice over ip routers Top twenty skin care products at reasonable prices Penis enlargment plastic surgeons Prozac nation naked

6:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Sampras tennis match Satellite broadband internet des plaines il betting Sex with beare foot and lags Amateur teen huge breasts Tramadol ship usps Water proof watches Incar mp3 players

2:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home